As mentioned in my previous post, there is a Sorry! clone called My Apologies available with the EveryGame app for the iPad. My thought for a fun initial adult board game design was to adapt my foreplay variation of the classic game to run with the app. The erotic version Sexy Sorry was based on couples playing with the standard board and applying only slight rule modifications to make it into a sex game. It had to use the original components with no modifications. But these limitations can be eliminated using the iPad app:
- you can create a large variety of cards with intimate activities included if desired
- you can add extra sets of cards with detailed foreplay ideas or sexy challenges
- you can spice up the board with extra graphics on the cards, cells or background
- you can create a new board layout that is more suited to couples play
- you can add creative new game components/mechanics to enhance it even more
Let’s investigate a few design options and ideas for a new foreplay game. For the following discussion, I will assume you already know the rules and general game play elements of the classic game.
Subsequent posts will provide more implementation details and sample files once the design is worked out.
The basic game is designed around a race to the finish objective while attempting to stop or send your opponent back. In a romantic sexual context, finishing fast is usually frowned upon unless you’re having a quickie. And stopping your partner is even worse. But, consider the fact that delaying orgasm while building erotic tension can lead to an even more intense climax. In this context, it would be “okay” to delay your partner. It would be even better if you included something to stimulate their desire and increase their arousal. This is where the various foreplay type activities would come into play.
Also, most couples usually have sex in bed so this would be a natural destination point in the game. To fit with the theme, rather than just getting Home, the players would actually race to get in Bed first. Since this is for couples, you don’t want them going off to their own separate beds either. A slight redesign could have a central bed with both player’s goal path leading to it – from opposite sides of course. “Honey, Come to Bed Quick but Don’t Come Quick” seems like a good basis for a theme.
Foreplay Game Elements
Since we are looking to design an adult board game, we want to include various foreplay activities geared around and supporting the theme. I still like the original idea from the sexy suggestions version:
When you Bump into your lover and send them back to the start, saying Sorry just isn’t enough – apologize with sensual pleasuring.
But there is a little bit of a problem with this. As more of the tokens get to the finish, there are less bumping opportunities at a time when you would expect there should be more pleasuring going on. The end game could become less exciting from an sexual arousal perspective. Here are a few possible solutions:
- when a player gets a token in bed, they strip off an article of clothing. Most people tend to have about 4 basic items of clothing on so this would fit since there are 4 tokens. And when you get all your tokens in, strip completely naked. This also fits the theme in that players would be stripping to have sex in bed. Stripping is also considered an erotic stimulus – both viewing and doing.
- include a number of special locations designated with an icon that indicates players are to take a drink, perform a foreplay activity, accept a sexual challenge or answer a question when they land on them. Extra sets of cards could be included in addition to the movement deck to provide random activities. Even if bumping does not occur, there is still a chance of landing on these locations.
- use the number of tokens in bed to indicate the level of foreplay possibly selected from different decks of cards. There is a maximum of 6 levels (both players have 3 tokens in bed) so 3/6 decks of cards might be needed with at least 10 or more items each. Alternatively, rather than creating huge sets of card images, various foreplay activity sheets in PDF could be used with each successive page/file containing more intense or explicit types of activities. A random method of selecting from within each sheet would be required but it should be the same for each level. Note: Coincidentally, the dice based Frisky Foreplay game comes with 6 levels of foreplay each with 36 unique ideas for both men and women. The activity sheets from this game could be used directly but would require that a red/black dice rolling mechanism be included. Since I want to provide this as a free game download, I will not put in a reference to this product initially.
There should also be some form of sex oriented reward for winning the game. This could be specified by the players at the start or provided in idea cards selected throughout the game.
Board Design & Layout
If you take a look at the My Apologies game on EveryGame, you’ll notice there is very little screen real-estate to add extra decks of cards. To make room for more, the movement cards could be replaced with two dice. One with numbers 1-12 and an icon for special moves. The other die would have various symbols corresponding to forward, backward, split, switch, etc. You could even add options not in the classic game. For instance, a symbol could mean kiss each other instead of moving.
Even if the movement cards are retained, the redesign of the board for just two players might make room for one or two decks of foreplay/sexplay cards. Possibly a male and female version so that the foreplay activities don’t need to be overly generalized into gender neutral descriptions. The cards could also be easily swapped out for lesbian and gay versions too.
Rather than men or pieces, it would be preferable to incorporate the theme around the tokens too. For instance, they could represent head, body, arms and legs. Or, they could represent the emotional, intellectual, physical and spiritual components of our personality that make us all unique as lovers.
Also, the term Bump somewhat fits with the theme but it could be renamed Tease even though players are tempting each other WITH the intention of satisfying the desire. (not a strict usage according to the definition of being a tease)
Since there is stripping and teasing as main elements of the game play and theme, Strip & Tease might be a good name for this adult board game design. Come to Bed Quick could be a sub title. Now to create some design files for the game and flush out some of the ideas. This will be a good opportunity to test out the features of EveryGame and figure out the implementation details.